Sunday, January 26, 2014

Listmania: 12 Days of Christmas Books

As our oldest child has reached her second birthday, she is very into her books. Since Christmas 2013 rolled around right after her birthday, I thought it would be a perfect time to start a 12 Days of Christmas Book tradition.

Each year, wrap up 12 holiday-themed books and have your children open one each night leading up to Christmas. This is a fun bedtime activity that incorporates the excitement of unwrapping, with the routine of bedtime. For our first year, I didn't have 12 Christmas books for our collection yet, but since I planned on gifting Bugga some other books for Christmas, I just used those for some of the nights. Each year I plan to add in and rotate more books out, keeping the stories age-appropriate for both kids. Also, 12 books can be an investment (especially in Canada! Whoa!) so don't be afraid to wrap up some library books too!

How did I pick the books below? I thought of some classics that I remember enjoying as a kid. I also looked into Bugga's favorite characters (Duck & Goose, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Llama Llama) to see if the authors wrote a Christmas story, and I was surprised to find that MOST do! Reading about the same characters really helps with holding a toddler's attention.

Some ideas for Christmas Books:

  1. Fa La La by Leslie Patricelli 
  2. Nativity Touchy-Feely Board Book by Fiona Watt
  3. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore
  4. Frosty the Snowman by Diane Muldrow
  5. Duck & Goose, It's Time for Christmas by Tad Hills
  6. Merry Christmas, Mouse! by Laura Numeroff
  7. The Hat by Jan Brett
  8. Bear Stays Up For Christmas by Karma Wilson
  9. How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
  10. Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry
  11. Llama Llama Holiday Drama by Anna Dewdney
  12. Clubhouse Christmas by Susan Amerikaner



No comments:

Post a Comment