Each year, wrap up 12 holiday-themed books and have your children open one each night leading up to Christmas. This is a fun bedtime activity that incorporates the excitement of unwrapping, with the routine of bedtime. For our first year, I didn't have 12 Christmas books for our collection yet, but since I planned on gifting Bugga some other books for Christmas, I just used those for some of the nights. Each year I plan to add in and rotate more books out, keeping the stories age-appropriate for both kids. Also, 12 books can be an investment (especially in Canada! Whoa!) so don't be afraid to wrap up some library books too!
How did I pick the books below? I thought of some classics that I remember enjoying as a kid. I also looked into Bugga's favorite characters (Duck & Goose, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Llama Llama) to see if the authors wrote a Christmas story, and I was surprised to find that MOST do! Reading about the same characters really helps with holding a toddler's attention.
Some ideas for Christmas Books:
- Fa La La by Leslie Patricelli
- Nativity Touchy-Feely Board Book by Fiona Watt
- 'Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore
- Frosty the Snowman by Diane Muldrow
- Duck & Goose, It's Time for Christmas by Tad Hills
- Merry Christmas, Mouse! by Laura Numeroff
- The Hat by Jan Brett
- Bear Stays Up For Christmas by Karma Wilson
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss
- Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry
- Llama Llama Holiday Drama by Anna Dewdney
- Clubhouse Christmas by Susan Amerikaner